Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Exceptional


With my vast knowledge of art education (I'm on my second year of teaching) I have embarked on the process of mold casting. Last year, and in my personal arts, I ventured into plaster gauze casting. Its an easy process that becomes familiar very quickly. This year I have decided to take the plunge and divulge in mold making.
Using flex wax for casting is probably just as familiar as plaster gauze for most. In my case, not so much. This week I checked my sources: mom (art teacher extraordinaire), colleagues, and of course the net for processes, tips, and procedures.
Well, Monday I did the test run on myself. Me, being my impatient self, burnt the crap out of my hand. I did however make a perfect mold...or so I think...and learned the proper cooling time.
Today, I had the students create their wax molds. I let the wax cool with ample time. They patched any cracks after removing the mold from their hands and then applied a layer of plaster gauze (that familiar stuff) to make sure there would be no leaks.
The hands will be place in a box of sand and filled with plaster of pairs. If all goes well, the outer layer will be removed to produce an exact replica of the models hand. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I will post my pictures when they are finished, as for now, cast your eyes on what its suppose to look like; compliments via google images.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
MrsH Quips. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino